It’s the perfect getaway and it’s right on the doorstep of Sheffield.
Inspired and lovingly renovated by a Duchess, Moscar Lodge at Hollow Meadows sees the return of the aristocratic Manners family to Peak District moors where the city’s golden frame sparkles.
The Lodge, an ideal location for a family, holiday or corporate retreat, is tucked away down a country lane close to Ladybower Reservoir and Bamford.
“I have put my stamp on it but not changed it enormously, we are simply the custodians,” said Emma Manners, the Duchess of Rutland.
“It just happened to come our way four years ago and ownership means we get our roots back into north Derbyshire again alongside the likes of Haddon Hall.”
Born Emma Watkins and the daughter of a Welsh farmer, the Duchess trained as an opera singer, interior designer and estate agent later marrying David Manners, then the Marquis of Granby, in 1992. Seven years later, David inherited Belvoir Castle in Leicestershire and, with it, the title of the 11th Duke of Rutland.
“Moscar was a great project for me,” said the Duchess. “I am a designer by trade. I collect, always looking out for items. I have an eclectic collection of artefact from sales and auctions.
“My personal highlight in the Lodge is the piano…I love music. But there is also the dining table from a New York show. I bought it and had it shipped across here. It turns out it was previously in the family – the Duke’s great grandfather, Lord Provost of Perth. I did not know. Talk about fate.
“I have enjoyed every moment of renovating this fabulous venue. I love working on interiors, and have indulged in choosing colours, fabrics and collecting furniture from sales rooms around the country and raiding attics at Belvoir Castle to bring together a working shooting lodge, with a touch of elegance, designed for our guests to enjoy.”
Moscar Lodge retains it period charm while providing modern amenities to rival any upmarket hotel, with 10 uniquely designed bedrooms; dining and conference room; house bar; state of the art tennis court and luxurious swimming pool – all set within 6,000 acres of this breath-taking and dramatic Peak District moorland.
Businesses from the Sheffield City Region are using it for corporate and away days or for team building. But users can also seek it out on airbnb for that special weekend away with family and friends
Originally built for Mark Firth, the Sheffield steel producer and Mayor of Sheffield from 1874-5, the Lodge and Moorland was bought by William Wilson in 1929. But today, after a gap of nearly 90 years and three generations, the Duke of Rutland’s family is back on the moors in the Peak District – with Moscar situated just ten miles north of their ancestor’s shooting Lodge at Longshaw.
Outside, Phil Burtt has been working with BH Sporting Ltd on the moorland management to maintain healthy stocks of grouse.
In addition to shooting, Moscar offers a host of outdoor and adventure activities for guests, from orienteering to yoga to swimming – offering something for everyone!
Moscar Lodge – At A Glance
- Over three floors
- Six bedrooms: 1 x four poster kingsize with en-suite bath, basin and WC, 1 x ground floor kingsize with en-suite bath, separate shower, basin and WC, 1 x kingsize with en-suite bath, basin and WC, 1 x second floor kingsize with en-suite shower, basin and WC, 1 x second floor kingsize, 1 x kingsize
- Bathroom with a basin and WC, second floor bathroom with shower, basin and WC
- Dining room with an open fire
- Sitting room with an open fire and a woodburning stove
- Games room with snooker table
- Cinema room.
- Four bedrooms: 1 x kingsize with en-suite bath, hand-held shower, basin and WC, 2 x kingsize with en-suite shower, basin and WC, 1 x kingsize
- Tennis court
- Swimming Pool.
- Heating, woodburning stove, 2 x open fire
- AGA range cooker, microwave, fridge, freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, TV and cinema room
- Fuel, power and starter packs inc. in rent
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Ample off-road parking
- 6000 acres of moorland, patio with furniture, tennis court, outdoor heated pool